The Blue Sky Mine and Corporate Social Responsibility Discussion
Order ID 53563633773 Type Essay Writer Level Masters Style APA Sources/References 4 Perfect Number of Pages to Order 5-10 Pages
QUESTION # 1 = The Blue Sky Mine and Corporate Social Responsibility
ANSWER EACH NUMBER
In response to wartime demand, the Blue Sky Mine was opened in Western Australia in the early 1940s and operated until it became unprofitable in the mid-60s.
The mine and its aftermath became the subject of a smash hit by the Australian rock band, Midnight Oil, who recently have returned to the global rock music scene. The song is emblematic of the issue of corporate social responsibility and is part of the Oils’ vast catalog of songs on environmental and social justice issues.
A. To prepare for your original posting, do some online research about the Blue Sky Mine and then view the official music video “Blue Sky Mine” by Midnight Oil (on page 8 under their Videos tab) in order to:
1. identify (and post using 1a, 1b, etc to identify your answers) – 4 pts
- a. what was mined here and for what purpose the material was/is used
- b. how the Colonial Sugar Refinery treated its miners during and after the mine operations
- c. whether or not the company demonstrated principles of corporate social responsibility (look this term up if it’s unfamiliar to you)
- if they did demonstrate corporate social responsibility, describe at least two example of how they did demonstrate CSR
- if they did not demonstrate corporate social responsibility, describe at least two examples of how they could have demonstrated CSR
- who is responsible for ensuring corporate social responsibility in any setting in any nation and why
2. describe (and post) how Midnight Oil uses music (speed, tone, volume, key, etc.), lyrics, and, importantly, images to tell the story of the Blue Sky Mine – 2 pts