SOCW 4001 Immigration Policy and Racial Equality Discussion
Order ID 53563633773 Type Essay Writer Level Masters Style APA Sources/References 4 Perfect Number of Pages to Order 5-10 Pages
Discussion (1a) Immigration policy has been a major concern for U.S. citizens and lawmakers. You may recall new stories that describe post-9/11 immigration policy as largely focused on keeping the borders intact and the United States safe. As a social worker, you will work with many different cultures and immigrants who have arrived via asylum, legal documented means, or undocumented means. To better understand refugee culture, you view a video story focused on immigration. In this Discussion, you explore with your colleagues your experiences with immigrants as well as policies affecting immigrants.
To prepare: Watch the Luma Mufleh: Don’t Feel Sorry for Refugees—Believe in Them video found in the Learning Resources.
- Describe your experiences with immigrants that you have known.
- Describe their story. Did the persons immigrate because of employment, refugee, asylum status?
- Describe a policy or policies that could or should be implemented to address undocumented persons.
- Describe a policy or policies that could or should be implemented to grant asylum status.
- Explain how a different policy or policies could or should be implemented to address undocumented persons.
- Explain how a different policy or policies could or should be implemented to grant asylum status.
- Discussion (1b)Policy and Racial Equality-It is argued that the quest for racial equality is an ongoing process. Current events point to the ongoing struggle of seeking racial equality nationwide and in local communities. To better understand how you as a social worker might advocate for racial equality, you watch a video surrounding tragic events in Charleston, South Carolina. With your colleagues, you explore obstacles to racial equality and how you as a social worker will work toward addressing racial equality in the policy process.
To prepare: Watch the Charleston: The Days After video found in the Learning Resources.
- Identify obstacles present in the quest for racial equality.
- Explain how you as a social worker can work toward racial equality in policy implementation.
- Explain how your identified obstacles are similar or different.