HN 502 Multiculturalism and Diversity in Human Services Discussion
Order ID 53563633773 Type Essay Writer Level Masters Style APA Sources/References 4 Perfect Number of Pages to Order 5-10 Pages
In Chapter 12, you were introduced to Jack Lawson from the Creek tribe with over 20 years of experience working with Native Americans. Jack shared a case of a young man, Joe, who struggled with alcoholism, substance abuse, anger, and destructive thoughts about being Native American.
Joe is a 25-year-old Native American. He has had a severe alcohol and drug problem since the age of 17. There is a history of alcoholism in his family. Although Joe is Native American, he has very little knowledge about his culture. He has negative views toward Native Americans as he sees them all as alcoholics and violent due to his upbringing. He is now facing jail time for his alcoholism and is at risk for losing his family and employment. He was court ordered to your alcohol and drug treatment program.
With the help of a program for drug and alcohol abuse that included interventions using the Native Americans’ traditions, this young man was able to turn his life around. However, Joe is placed in an environment that offers no specific services geared towards treating Native People.
Please answer the following questions:
- What are some of the social problems that impact Native Americans and how will this influence your role as an advocate and social change agent for Joe?
- Working with Joe, what steps will you take to advocate that his cultural needs and issues are properly addressed while receiving services? How can you help Joe with self-advocacy?
- Since working with Joe, you have discovered there is a growing population of Native Americans in your community who are in need of help. Address each of the following:
- What are the most important cultural values, beliefs, and traditions to consider when working with Native American communities?
- Identify ways you can promote change and advocacy in your community to help address the needs of Native Americans. Include examples of culturally specific interventions.
- In what ways can understanding these cultural values help you assess and build rapport with Native American clients?
Diller, J. V. (2018). Cultural Diversity: A Primer for the Human Services. [VitalSource Bookshelf